Subject: Re: Powertec card stops boot
To: Carl Hetherington <carl@cth103.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/03/2000 21:48:49
In <URL:news:local.netbsd.port-arm32> on Mon 27 Dec, Carl Hetherington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My apologies if this is a FAQ; I am a brand-new user of NetBSD/arm32 and I
> haven't found any clues to my problem yet...

Power-tec used to be an FAQ, but this problem is new.

> Basically I have installed BSD 1.4 using a rather round-about route; I
> couldn't get the 1.4 install to work so instead I set things up using an old
> 1.3 beta CD I found and then copied the 1.4 sets into the RiscBSD partition.
> This is all on the internal IDE drive of a Risc PC with StrongARM.
>
> It all boots up fine and works when my Powertec SCSI-3 card is physically
> removed from the machine, but when its installed NetBSD fails to boot.  The
> kernel goes through printing its messages about what hardware is installed,
> prints a line about SCSI and then hangs.  There is a single hard disc
> connected to the SCSI card.

You could try the latest snapshot from last year (1999). That seems to
work fine with my Power-tec SCSI-2 (v1.01), but I don't think that will
work either.

The SCSI-3 card is substantially different from the SCSI-2 card, and so
far noone has reported to have made a new driver that works with this
card.

So, anyone wants to pick up this thread?

> I don't need to actually access the SCSI drive under NetBSD, I'd just like to
> be able to boot it without removing the card.  Any suggestions?

Then you can use the podule.disable=0 or whatever in the Extra Options
field. I don't remember the details, but that may be in the FAQ or
somewhere.

If that does not work, then you can make your own kernel and just comment
out the ptsc driver from the config file.

I hope this helps.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/