Subject: Re: Archive Device suggestions?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/18/1999 10:26:35
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, David McConnell wrote:

> Any suggestions for an archive device for ARM Netbsd.

By "archive", do you mean long term storage of data? If so, one note of
caution: I understand that technologies like DAT and Exabyte aren't
guarantteed to be reliable in the long term - they are primarily designed
for "disaster recovery" type backup, where you are most likely to be
reading the tape made last night / week / month / whatever.

If you were going to use this sort of tape technology, and the long term
survival of the archived data was important, then you would probably want
to restore and then rewrite each tape once every couple of years.

I've tended to use CD-R for archival stuff myself (but not under
NetBSD/arm32, and I don't know what the long term stability of the discs
is like ...).

Regards,

Neil.