Subject: Re: Getting started on a EBSA-285
To: David McConnell <davem@eastcoast.co.za>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/16/1999 16:10:25
Hi David, Dusty,

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, David McConnell wrote:
> Also, you can cross compile a kernel if no binary is available (although
> there should be a binary somewhere??). Do you have another NetBSD system
> (i386 maybe). You could use that to cross compile a kernel and NFS serve a
> filesystem to get you started. However, the bootloader will need to come
> first.

when you've got a bootloader, then this won't be a problem; it should be
around yes... or i can build you one... as far as i know EBSA support is
relatively new, but i don't know why it's the only one without an
installation-kernel.

> To cross compile you will need to build the appropriate cross compile
> toolchain.

Has anyone patched the current crosscompile kit so one can also compile
userland binaries? The current version (precompiled) will look for it's
libs in /usr/lib and will find incompatible libs. If i change the LD path,
it won't run the crosscompiler :-)...

> > should also ask if it is possible to run a diskless system, with only
> a ramdisk > and/or flash filesystem.
>
> Yes. You can run purely from flash/ram. I'm busy with that at the moment
> (see my earlier posts).Obviously you are somewhat limited with what apps you
> can include (sizewise).

Great! i was thinking about that too ! is it an extention to the std.
install disc ? Would like to use a FLASH of say 8-12 Mb for dedicated
stuff.

> >Also, can I use angel to load the kernel into RAM?
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> This should be possible but maybe quite tricky. Angel probably does not set
> things up the way NetBSD expects (e.g. 21285 settings) and NetBSD also
> expects a boot parameters structure. It may be possible to modify Angel to
> comply but could take you a while. Essentially we come back to the
> bootloader...

You can also try the CATS intallationkernel; they share most hardware and
code; bit tricky, but you could give it a try.

Sucess,

Reinoud