Subject: Re: XF86_S3V locks keyboard
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/10/1999 16:07:58
On Fri 10 Dec, Thilo Manske wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 11:18:51AM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > fixes the problem. This is similar to problems with the old server when
> > a getty was running on the same virtual terminal, however there is no
> > getty running on /dev/ttyE4 (which is where the X server appears to
> > reside).
> Are you really sure that xdm runs on ttyE4?
> I.e. do you start it with "vt5" (in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers)?

No, but I do now!

> If I leave the vt option out, my xdm[3d] when started at boottime from rc
> takes ttyE1. I guess, because it comes up before init has started the
> gettys.

Yes, that entirely make sense. At bootup, init hasn't started the gettys,
so X picks the first free vt (vt1). Then the getty starts and kills the
keyboard in the way we've seen before. Killing X will respawn a new X server
which will now sit on ttyE4 (I run gettys from ttyE0 to ttyE3), hence it
won't lock the keyboard and I'll use Ctrl-Alt-F5 to switch to it.

Thanks for your help.

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill, Director and Principal Engineer
Precedence Technologies Ltd             Tel: +44 (0) 1223 562 500