Subject: Re: Two questions ...
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/09/1999 20:58:59
Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk> wrote:
> Sorry Mike, there seems to be missing some text here. What can I at
> least get?

Oops editing error. What I meant to say is that at least the 1.4.x X Server
has sources available for it so there is at least the chance of adding the
feature yourself. I have no idea how difficult it would be to do though.

>  > > ps complains about a missing /var/run/dev.db file/database. How
>  > > do I build such a thing?
>  > >
>  > run kvm_mkdb.

Oops sorry my mistake. I read that too quickly as /var/run/kvm.db which
kvm_mkdb generates. What you need is dev_mkdb.

> You're right again, now I have build Xemacs v21.1.8 :-) The next problem
> is to get the various Xemacs packages to work. I must admit I do not
> have the full understanding of the package concept or how to install
> a package, but so far I have managed to get Viper and VM-mail to
> run, so I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Try Options->Manage packages. The goal was to reduce the download size by
stripping off the less commonly used packages and making them optional. I get
the impression that the system still needs a bit of work.
The only problem I had is that the FTP mode didn't seem to work properly. I
just downloaded the package tar files and extracted them in the right place
which seems to work just fine.

> I plan to do so when I finally upgrade from v13a, but for now I
> prefer to do it manually.

Fair enough. I only suggested it because it makes building things from source
almost a trivial exercise.

> Regarding Mozilla:
>  > I have uploaded these libraries from my system to
>  > http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/files/oldc++libs.tar.gz You can download
>  > them and give them a try. These will be the last version I built of these
>  > libraries before they were removed from current between 1.3 and 1.4.
>
> Unfortunately, Mozilla does not redraw correctly with these libraries.

Yes and I can now reproduce this problem. This appears to be some subtle
incompatibility between mozilla and the 1.4.x X11 dynamic libraries. I was
still using the 1.3a ones. That explains why things were working for me and
not for others. Right, now all I need to do is figure out why. Anybody else
have any ideas about what could cause this?

For now try copying the 1.3a X11 dynamic libraries over the 1.4.1 ones and see
if that works.

>  > You can get a version of mozilla from pkgsrc but it does not have the SSL
>  > patches included. I'd try the libraries I uploaded first. I'm still trying to
>  > get more recent versions of mozilla to build.
>
> I am working on that, too. I will let you now, when I finish if I
> finish :-)

Unless things have changed recently IF is definitely the right word.

> By the way, I downloaded a version named mozilla-19981008.tgz.
> Unfortunately it complains about a missing library libXm.so.?.?
> which is not included in my v141 of X-windows. Where do I get a
> copy of that library. Do I have to recompile X-windows?

You will need the lesstif package. libXm is the Motif library. I had the same
problem with this mozilla when using the newer X libraries.

>  > > Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3a on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.
>  > Hopefully we will see this updated soon. :-)
>
> I hope so, but there are not that many holidays this Christmas and
> with the potential Y2K crisis ahead, it might be January or February
> 2000 before that happens :-(

Bummer. Fortunately most of the work I do seem to be immune to Y2K problems.

Mike