Subject: Re: Two questions ...
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/09/1999 19:17:05
Hello Again!

 > Unfortunately there is a down side to the new X Server. It does not allow you
 > to switch back to the virtual consoles. Still you can at least get

Sorry Mike, there seems to be missing some text here. What can I at
least get?

 > > ps complains about a missing /var/run/dev.db file/database. How
 > > do I build such a thing?
 > >
 > run kvm_mkdb.

Do I have to run it in any special way or does /var/run/dev.db and/or
/usr/sbin/kvm_mkdb need to have any special attributes. I have tried
to run it both with and without a file argument and it does not want
to create the /var/run/dev.db file, neither under v13a nor v141 :-(

Regarding Xemacs compilation:
 > If you want to patch things up yourself take a look an the code where it fails.
 > IIRC the line that fails to compile is in the #else part of a #ifdef. All you
 > need to do is rewrite the #ifdef so that the #if part is selected rather than
 > the #else part.

You're right again, now I have build Xemacs v21.1.8 :-) The next problem
is to get the various Xemacs packages to work. I must admit I do not
have the full understanding of the package concept or how to install
a package, but so far I have managed to get Viper and VM-mail to
run, so I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

 > I highly recommend downloading the pkgsrc.tar.gz from the ftp site and then
 > using it to build the packages you want. Typically all you have to do is
 > change to the directory of the package you want and type make install. The
 > system will automatically download the source for the application you want to
 > build, including any dependencies, and then compiles and installs them. Much
 > easier than figuring things out for yourself.

I plan to do so when I finally upgrade from v13a, but for now I
prefer to do it manually.

Regarding Mozilla:
 > I have uploaded these libraries from my system to
 > http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/files/oldc++libs.tar.gz You can download
 > them and give them a try. These will be the last version I built of these
 > libraries before they were removed from current between 1.3 and 1.4.

Unfortunately, Mozilla does not redraw correctly with these libraries.

 > You can get a version of mozilla from pkgsrc but it does not have the SSL
 > patches included. I'd try the libraries I uploaded first. I'm still trying to
 > get more recent versions of mozilla to build.

I am working on that, too. I will let you now, when I finish if I
finish :-)

By the way, I downloaded a version named mozilla-19981008.tgz.
Unfortunately it complains about a missing library libXm.so.?.?
which is not included in my v141 of X-windows. Where do I get a
copy of that library. Do I have to recompile X-windows?

 > > Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3a on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.
 > Hopefully we will see this updated soon. :-)

I hope so, but there are not that many holidays this Christmas and
with the potential Y2K crisis ahead, it might be January or February
2000 before that happens :-(

Thank you very much for your quick replies
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:  2:234/181.9		Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3a on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.