Subject: Re: Two questions ...
To: Angelo Melis <angelo@kitt.nl>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/30/1999 13:34:08
> Hello,
>
> On Tue 30 Nov, Kjetil B Thomassen wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Angelo Melis wrote:
> >
 > > My question is ... what is signal 11 ? And how can I make sure that
this
> > > doesn't keep happening, because it is annoying.

Signal 11 is a segmentation violation.  It means that the program has
tried to access memory that doesn't exist (or that is forbidden to it).
It can happen for several reasons.  On a correctly functioning machine
with sufficient resources, it normally means that your program is bad.

> > This sounds like a revision J or K StrongARM SA-110. There is a bug in
> > these that can lead to problems like this.
> Eh ... It could be, but the problem is that I don't have StrongARM SA-110. I
> have a ARM710 in my computer :).

So it isn't (likely to be) the processor.

> > > Secondly ... after booting ... I get an error from kvm_read (?) with an
> > > illegal address (0x0). Is this something I must worry about ? Is it connected
> > > to the core dump problem ?

This most likely means that you haven't got a copy of your kernel in the
file called /netbsd.

> Thanks for your info, and maybe I should have included the info that I have a
> ARM 710 in my computer. But I didn't thought about it, that it could be
> connected to the processor. But thanks anyway ...
>
> Somebody else knows about the problem ... has a solution ?

How much physical RAM do you have (and how many chips).  How large a swap
partition do you have?  The first part of this can be found by running
dmesg
(it is printed up near the start of the boot session).  The amount of swap
information can be found by running

	/sbin/swapctl -l

Finally, how many programs do you have running at once (Are you running
under an X server)?

Another hint is to look at /var/log/messages.  This might give some clues
as to what is failing.

Richard.