Subject: Re: Two questions ...
To: None <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Angelo Melis <angelo@kitt.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/30/1999 13:38:34
Hello,

On Tue 30 Nov, Kjetil B Thomassen wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Angelo Melis wrote:
>
> > Some time ago I installed NetBSD-arm32 1.4.1 on my RISC PC and after some
> > trouble with the install kernel I got it installed. And it works OK. I even
> > have access to the internet throu the Atomwide serial card.
> >
> > But this weekend I tried to compile some stuff I downloaded and got some
> > problems. the compiler crashed with a signal 11 (????) and core-dumped.
> > Sometimes cc1 and sometimes cpp crashed. After deleting the coredump and
> > restarting the make process ... it all worked.
> >
> > Today I tried to update some packages on my system and noticed the same
> > problems. But it is not only cc1 or cpp, but also pkg_delete or some other
> > program crashes with a signal 11.
> >
> > My question is ... what is signal 11 ? And how can I make sure that this
> > doesn't keep happening, because it is annoying.
>
> This sounds like a revision J or K StrongARM SA-110. There is a bug in
> these that can lead to problems like this.
Eh ... It could be, but the problem is that I don't have StrongARM SA-110. I
have a ARM710 in my computer :).

> In order to solve this, you have to upgrade your SA-110 to revison S
> or T, something that Simtec can do for GBP 100. See an earlier article
> regarding this.
>
> Another way to solve it, would be to replace your SA-110 with an
> ARM610 or ARM710, but this would of course degrade performance.
I have already a ARM710 in my little RISC PC.

> There are ways to code around this problem, but they are too complex
> for anyone to have done anything about this.
>
> To figure out which revision your SA-110 is, just look at the dmesg
> output, or check the letter on the physical chip. My revision K claims
> that it is revision 2, so you need one that is newer than that.
>
> This whole problem was discussed in great detail a year or two ago,
> so if you check the mailing list archive, you will be able to get
> more details.
Also about the ARM 710 ?

> > Secondly ... after booting ... I get an error from kvm_read (?) with an
> > illegal address (0x0). Is this something I must worry about ? Is it connected
> > to the core dump problem ?
>
> It may be, but I don't know.
Thanks for your info, and maybe I should have included the info that I have a
ARM 710 in my computer. But I didn't thought about it, that it could be
connected to the processor. But thanks anyway ...

Somebody else knows about the problem ... has a solution ?

> Kjetil B.
> mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
> http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/

Bye,