Subject: Re: Ramdisk?
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
From: Dave McConnell <davem@eastcoast.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/18/1999 17:35:37
Hi Mike

>The md device is for using a ramdisk image embedded into the kernel.
>This image can be set with mdsetimage. The idea is that you build a
>mini UFS file system in an image file and embed it into the kernel.

OK, would I then be correct in saying (and answering some of my own
questions) that when MINIROOTSIZE is defined in the config, the mdsetimage
will "persistantly" (i.e. the kernel file itself) patch the kernel with the
file system in image. The kernel will then be much bigger, but will be
somewhat more "self contained".

If MEMORY_DISK_SIZE is defined in the config, mdsetimage will exit with an
error (because it wont find symbols _md_root_image and _md_root_size in the
kernel) but that one can then "boottime" patch the kernel, say from a floppy
(as in md_hooks.c).

Is that all correct?

Thanks
David