Subject: Re: arm32/PLATFORM/prep missing
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1999 23:14:20
On Thu 21 Oct, Steve Woodford wrote:

> > On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Andy White wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've downloaded netbsd for the arm32 platform, and it says in the
> > > INSTALLATION.txt/html docs that preparing the install is covered in the
> > > arm32/PLATFORM/prep file, but I couldn't see this anywhere.
> > >
> > > I may well just be blind, but a pointer to it wouldn't go amis.
>
> Looks to me like the arm32 installation instructions didn't get built
> properly. The 'arm32/PLATFORM/prep' is a reference to one of the 10 or so
> file segments that the final INSTALL.{txt,html,more ...} file is built
> from.
>
> Assuming you're installing on a RiscOS machine, check the file:
>
> 	/usr/src/distrib/notes/arm32/prep.RISCOS
>
> for details. (You may need to grab it from the -current source tree on
> ftp.netbsd.org if you don't have 1.4.x sources available locally).
>
> If the contents of that file don't appear anywhere in the INSTALL.*
> notes, that's a bug and should be reported using send-pr(1).

I have now checked out this file, and it seems to contain the relevant
pieces of information from the installation manual that I wrote back
in 1997.

    $ ls -l prep.RISCOS
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wsrc  20095 Jan  9  1998 prep.RISCOS

So someone really did the job, but forgot to tell us about it.

There are still a lot of things that needs to be done about it,
and it needs to be updated to cover the current situation.

I don't think that I have the time to do this now, but I could
possibly start work on that some time in the last year of this
millenium (that is 2000, folks).

There does not seem to be a PR on this, so I have submitted one.

I also submitted a PR for getting this document updated.

FWIW I stuck that file up as:
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/NetBSD/prep.RISCOS

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no