Subject: Re: mounting ADFS ?!:.
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1999 21:02:30
On Wed 03 Nov, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > The reason that c works is that the filecore partition is at the front
> > of the disk.  As filecore is a read only file system, this is OK.  You
> > should really create a partition for the filecore partition (you need
> > to do this if you have more than one filecore partition) in the
> > disklabel, and then use that for mounting.
>
> Hmm, sounds sensible.  Is there a way of extracting the correct geometry
> information of the ADFS partitions, or do you have to just "know" them?

Yes, it should all be in the disk record which is described in the
Programmer's Reference Manual (PRM). This a five volume set, and
volume 5 was replaced by volume 5a to update it with the RISC OS 3.6
changes.

I have all of these, so if no-one else can provide you with the info,
I can dig out what you need.

> Something equivalent to mbrlabel?

I don't think that you have a program to do that yet, but it should be
easy to make one.

I guess that the bb_riscbsd program could be a start.

> > > I seem to remember that when the ADFS code was added, that it didn't
> > > support the ADFS 'Floppy' formats (only the Hard Disk formats).  If this
> > > has changed (or if I'm wrong) then someone please correct me.
> >
> > The filesystem should work fine, it is the floppy driver that doesn't
> > work, as it expects 512 byte sectors, and ADFS floppies have 1024 byte
> > sectors.
>
> But the net result is that you can't read ADFS floppies at this time,
> correct?

Yes.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no