Subject: Re: Problem TELNET between RISCPC & Compaq-PC
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/04/1999 12:30:32
so if I understand correctly, you do something like

%  telnet machine_name

then you get a "login: " prompt, you enter the username, get a "password:"
promt, give it the correct password and it refuses the login?  something
like:

login: root
Password:
root login refused on this terminal.

If this is what you're seeing, then it means that
1)  your account has user ID 0 (ie its root)

and

2) /etc/ttys

doesn't have a "secure" entry for the ttyp that you're logging into.
Note: don't add the "secure" entry.  Instead create an account with a user
ID which isn't 0.

-Dan