Subject: Re: mounting ADFS ?!:.
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com, port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/03/1999 10:52:59
On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 11:13:04AM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > * David Forbes (david@flossy.u-net.com) [991031 19:32]:
> >
> > > What have you tried?  You should need something like:
> >
> > > mount -t filecore /dev/wd0c /mnt
> >
> > Shouldn't it be /dev/wd0a instead, or is it just floppies (sadly msdos
> > only) that you mount 'a' of? Wouldn't c try to mount your netbsd
> > partition again, in the normal scheme of things?
>
> No, partition 'c' is the whole disk (partition 'd' is the whole 'NetBSD'
> part of the disk -- ie all the NetBSD partitions).  You mount ADFS
> partitions by giving NetBSD the 'whole disk' partition.  (This does bring
> up an interesting question: what if a disk has more than one ADFS
> partition?)

The reason that c works is that the filecore partition is at the front
of the disk.  As filecore is a read only file system, this is OK.  You
should really create a partition for the filecore partition (you need
to do this if you have more than one filecore partition) in the
disklabel, and then use that for mounting.  Can you have more than 8
partitions in the disklabel these days?

> I seem to remember that when the ADFS code was added, that it didn't
> support the ADFS 'Floppy' formats (only the Hard Disk formats).  If this
> has changed (or if I'm wrong) then someone please correct me.

The filesystem should work fine, it is the floppy driver that doesn't
work, as it expects 512 byte sectors, and ADFS floppies have 1024 byte
sectors.

	Andrew