Subject: Re: SA1100 porting?
To: Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1999 17:07:57
Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp> writes:
> Does anybody works porting for SA1100?
> we have some test machine include SA1100.

"In my copious free time."  8-)

the sa1100 should be really easy, actually.  The only things you need
to worry about are:

* the "interesting" NetBSD/arm32 port layout.  Really, this
  should be split into cpu vs. machine trees.

* bootstrapping.  once you get your system bootstrapped and into VM,
  you should only need to worry about devices.  assuming you don't
  want to play with the wince vm hack (cp15 cr13), or the mini-dcache,
  the MMU/caches should work like the ones in the sa110.  I seem to
  recall that there was some weirdness on bootstrapping re: the kernel
  expecting the firmware to have set up VM the way the kernel wanted
  it.  That's a bad assumption, and not true on some platforms.

* the on-board devices are pretty easy.  in particular, the ones that
  Need to get done to get a base-level device going are:

	* serial port, for console.

	* clock.  (duh! 8-)  Actually the sa1100 clocking is nice,
	  since there are several clocks which can be used separately
	  for normal & statistics clocks.

	* "pcmcia" space.  You actually want to do two things here:

		* provide a pcmcia controller device for each slot,
		  that can do the right thing w.r.t. generic PCMCIA
		  goop.

		* provide an ISA-ish bus controller device for each
		  slot, that can do the right thing as if it were just
		  ISA (without DMA), and there were no PCMCIA
		  involved.

cgd