Subject: Porting NetBSD to Millipede Imago
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1999 12:39:05
Hi Stephen, hi Philip, hi Mark,

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Stephen Crocker wrote:
> > >Since many people are hoping to replace their RiscPC motherboards with Imago
> > >next year (myself included), I trust that someone is working on a kernel for
> > >it.  Also, what is happening about machines like the Mico and RS7500?
> >
> > Does any hardware documentation exist for these machines?
>
> I imagine Millipede would be able to supply some.  I gather that RISC OS Ltd.
> have already started porting RISC OS to it, so I don't see why NetBSD would
> be a problem.

I've contacted Millipede about it and Richard told me to ask a few weeks
later... they are currently working on getting the board to run code and
RiscOS Ltd is busy porting RiscOS to it.

Richard liked the idea, so he might be willing to release the docs about
it to make the port posible. He guessed the port to be relatively easy
since the hardware structure matches enough for RiscOS 4. He's also using
some very basic PC hardware components on the board for sound, harddisc,
USB and network so that ought not to give mich problems either..

Are you both willing to join the porting efford?  I'm looking for some
volunteers so start up! :-) I can only work on it in my spare time, but
see no real big problems (for me) other then the boot-loader, pmap and
machdep stuff... kinda hard to debug those critters... and X offcource,
but that's a later concern. Will be my first port/devicedriver though...

Would like to use the wscons/rcons stuff for the console and as much of
/dev/ic drivers as much as possible. Ideas ?

Cheers,

Reinoud