Subject: Re: c++ shared libs on NetBSD/arm32?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/19/1999 17:21:07
> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 05:03:42PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > Don't forget that NetBSD/arm32 is using a.out, so it's possible that any
> > static constructors in the code aren't getting run.  I'm not sure of the
> > details of how NetBSD links/loads shared libs for a.out, but there is
> > certainly no special section for handling this as there is in ELF.
> > Another reason why we should consider migrating to ELF sometime?
>
> Thanks. Is there a lighter weight workaround? I remember there was a discussion
> about this somewhere, but can't find the relevant messagee(s).
>
> Regards,
> 	-is

Actually, man rtld(1) says that if there is a symbol called .init in a
shared lib, it is the name of a proceedure to call when the library is
loaded (the idea is that this should then call each of the constructors in
turn);  I don't know if this works on arm32 (you could try poking around
with gdb to find out if it is being called)

R.