Subject: Re: RISCPC PLIP link, SLIP or PPP modemless link, modescreen configuration.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/18/1999 10:59:55
> CONFIG:
> RISCPC-SA, 32Mo ram, 2Mo vram, 6.4Go IDE disk,
> IDE CDROM 8x, NetBSD 1.3.2, RISCOS 3.73.
>
> PLIP link :
> i don't know how to make a PLIP liaison between a RISCPC SA
> with NetBSD 1.3.2 and a COMPAQ CONTURA with NetBSD 1.3.2 to.

Hmm. Can't help with this, I bought ethernet cards instead.

> SLIP or PPP modemless link :
> i also don't know how to make a SLIP or PPP liaison between this sames
> machines, without MODEMS.

For a PPP connection something like this should suffice:

One one machine run:
/usr/sbin/pppd local 115200 crtscts 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2 passive /dev/tty00

on the other run:

/usr/sbin/pppd local 115200 crtscts /dev/tty00

That should set up a PPP connection between the 2 machine. On the i386
you will need to substitude /dev/tty00 for /dev/tty01 if you are using
COM2. This assumes that the machines are attached via a fully connected
serial crossover cable.

> mode screen configuration :
> i also don't know how to configure my screen with X(arm-33 or other server).

You will need the setvideo binary. The sources for this are available
on the NetBSD FTP site:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/misc/misc-src-riscpc.tar.gz

You need to run setvideo just before you run startx.

BTW it may be work upgrading the arm32 machine to 1.4.1 as you can then
use the X server which comes with the distribution which is a lot more
reliable than Xarm33.

Mike