Subject: Re: shark power supply questions
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1999 06:59:24
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>  wrote:
 > According to the duh.org shark faq, the feasibility of powering a shark
 > through the hard drive power connector was under investigation. Searching the
 > archives turns up one reference to a web server shark being powered this way.

Make sure you pick the 5V line off the power connector... 12 volts would surely
be a bad idea.

 > I just scored a shark at a swap meet today for 30 bucks (rev5, no zip, with
 > remote, no power supply). The case is scratched in a few places but the

"remote"?

 > Also, I saw a mention of putting a toroid on the hard drive power when it
 > comes into the shark from an external power supply. What's the recommended
 > number of times to loop the wires around the toroid?

I can tell you I'm powering 60 sharks off a single Sun3 VME chassis power
supply and there's no 'toroids' within site of this baby... Just two 5 foot
long solid copper bus-bars...

 > What I'm hoping to do is put a (gutted) external SCSI drive case on top of
 > the shark, with an IDE drive in it, and run both the IDE cable and shark
 > power in through the back of the shark case.

or you could just find a laptop disk and buy the little $12 converter.  I'm
doing that on the shark that's going in my car...
ill not prepared to sacrifice the SCSI chain. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Tony