Subject: PCI I/O and Mem Allocation Problems
To: None <mark@causality.com>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1999 11:26:56
Hi

I have been fighting with the Promise Ultra 33 DMA for months, and have come
across a problem. The pci_conf_print for the device reads:

  Base address register at 0x18
    not implemented(?)
  Base address register at 0x1c
    not implemented(?)

However, on the i386, these are used. My bootloader successfully detects
that these two BARs require I/O space, and allocates them space. I have
printed the values of these two BARs at the end of the PCI configuration
section of the bootloader, and it shows that the values have been written
correctly. However, NetBSD's pci_conf_print shows that they are not
implemented. This surely means that either:
  - NetBSD overwrote/zeroed these registers
  - NetBSD is not reading these registers properly.

The other three BARs required were set up by the bootloader fine, and were
initialised and read back by NetBSD fine as well. Any ideas what could be
causing this, as it is stopping the Promise from working, and could well
stop other cards from working...

Thanks
 Bruce