Subject: Re: Mozilla
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1999 10:17:58
Well, I was going to try and have a look at this over the weekend.
Unfortunately, NetBSD/arm32 just isn't up to debugging an application as
large as this (groan).

I started by trying to build a debug version of Mozilla; this failed
because something in the link needed more than 8M of string space, and
since the strings were being put on the stack using alloca it tripped the
hard kernel limit for my shark (I've got a patch for ld that I will PR
later today).

Then linking crashed my shark (wedged solid, keyboard not responding, so
couldn't get into the debugger to find out where).  Rebooted and tried
again, this time linking successful.

Finally, it is impossible to debug this on a 32M shark; gdb is
continuously being fobbed off by the kernel ptrace call with "Operation
not permitted" whenever the executable hits a breakpoint.  This means that
it cannot even get enough information to report the registers or stack
frame.

Sorry, I can't do any more on this until ptrace is fixed.   *Please* could
someone who understands the VM system (I think that is the guilty party)
have a look to find out why it keeps throwing out ptrace calls to legal
addresses?

R.