Subject: shark power supply questions
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1999 02:18:17
According to the duh.org shark faq, the feasibility of powering a shark
through the hard drive power connector was under investigation. Searching the
archives turns up one reference to a web server shark being powered this way.
What's the official story on this?

I just scored a shark at a swap meet today for 30 bucks (rev5, no zip, with
remote, no power supply). The case is scratched in a few places but the
insides are near mint, and I don't want to fry it while trying to test
whether it works.

Also, I saw a mention of putting a toroid on the hard drive power when it
comes into the shark from an external power supply. What's the recommended
number of times to loop the wires around the toroid?

What I'm hoping to do is put a (gutted) external SCSI drive case on top of
the shark, with an IDE drive in it, and run both the IDE cable and shark
power in through the back of the shark case.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com