Subject: Re: Mozilla?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Wingate <andrew.wingate@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/30/1999 23:41:23
* Mike Pumford (mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk) [990930 09:46]:

> > In message <199909290828.JAA49471@yates.mpc-data.co.uk> Mike wrote:
>
> > > I gave them a try and they seemed to display things for me. This
> > > was on the 1.4 VIDC X server running at 1024x768 16bpp.

> > I'm using 1.4.1 at 8bpp.  How do you get 16?  The bootloader doesn't seem
> > to like having a k in the mode.

I thought the bootloader's mode selection was just like the RISC OS
display manager. I think I have a 32k 1024x768 setting for my
bootloader, but have to use the setdisplay binary to actually affect X.
I did have to alter some header file that was included since it appeared
not to exist on my system but substituted it for cpus.h. Windowmaker and
Blackbox certainly look nicer in a decent number of colours: indigo
actually is (hmm. Must recompile latest Blackbox).

> I used the setvideo binary to change the resolution just before
> starting X. I have a shell script wrapper arround startx which sets the
> resolution I want for X before running the real startx. My system is
> booted with a 640x480 8bpp console.

I should stick set{display|video} in my startx. I tend to start with
1024x768 at 75Hz, though for my console.

> IIRC the -c option to setvideo sets the colour depth. Either check the
> man page or drop me a mail and I'll look at my script. I don't have
> access to the machine to check it now.

I think just running set{display|video} tends to tell you how it wants
its command-line parameters given, though it always reports itself as
setvideo, even if you compiled it from setdisplay.c to setdisplay.

BTW, trying the 1.4K snapshot (23rd Sept?) binary of the kernel, without
updating anything else seems to not let me use ps/top/w or similar. I
can't remember the exact errors off the top of my head (my SA (rev J)
Risc PC is a reasonable distance from a network), I was trying it with a
normal 1.4 install (not having installed the other parts for a proper
1.4K system - I should go and get a decent-sized harddisk to play with).
Oh yes, does NetBSD still object if you have a filecore partition of
more than 2Gb?

--
Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>
Part II Chemist, NCL, Oxford University