Subject: Re: X problems
To: Stephen Crocker <crok@crok.demon.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/27/1999 10:17:12
> I am currently having trouble setting up X on my Acorn RiscPC.  I have set up
> X using xf86config but running startx gives an error about
> "CONSOLE_X_MODE_OFF failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device).  However,
> running Xarm32VIDC brings me up a typical-looking desktop (X-shaped pointer,
> black/white background) but there are no windows, the keyboard is frozen (ie.
> the LEDs do not respond) and clicking any of the buttons on the mouse has no
> effect at all!

Are you running 1.4. If so then press a single key and the mouse should
come to life. This was fixed in current but I don't know if it was
pulled into the stable branch for the 1.4.1 release.

To set the X server screen resolution/colour depth you need to use
setvideo. This is not part of the standard distribution but you can download
the source from:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/misc/misc-src-riscpc.tar.gz

Mike