Subject: Re: High resolutions
To: Stephen Crocker <crok@crok.demon.co.uk>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/27/1999 09:56:27
On Sun 26 Sep, Stephen Crocker wrote:
> I have been having trouble configuring NetBSD/arm32 to use ay mode higher
> than 640x480 on my RiscPC.  In higher resolutions, the screen appears to be
> broken up.  Also, enabling video DRAM in high resolution gives me a plain
> black screen with a cursor normally and a plain white screen in X.  In low
> resolution modes, I get a strange, multicoloured pattern!
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I guess you don't have any VRAM. If you do have VRAM, then leave the video
DRAM setting at 0, otherwise set it to the appropriate amount (640x480=300K,
800x600=480K). The RiscPC console code does mess up at 800x600; the
screen wraps around to some extent. However, this does not affect X in
my experience.

800x600 is the highest resolution you will get without VRAM (you need
256 colours to boot).

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill