Subject: Re: Remote Kernel Debugging
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org, davem@eastcoast.co.za>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/20/1999 18:02:02
Hi,

> I see the arm32 kernel config files only have an option for IPKDB (no KGDB).
> When I configure a kernel to include IPKDB the kernel build fails due to
> warnings in the ipkdb_ipkdb.c file. I could no doubt "fix" things to get rid
> of the warnings, but I would have expected this lot to build OK without
> fixing??

Sorry, but due to several problems I wasn't able to keep the IPKDB support
up to date with the rest of the kernel :-(.  I will try to update the
generic stuff to a newer version in the near future.  I'm not sure about
the arm stuff however.

There are other problems as well though.  IPKDB uses IP for its debugging
stuff.  Therefor it needs to talk to some network interface (typically
an ethernet interface) behind the back of the rest of the operating system.
For this to work, you'll need a IPKDB driver for your network card in
addition to the driver for the OS.  There never have been more than two
or three such drivers, and those are quite outdated, too :-(.  Depending
on what network card you have, we might be able to resurrect some of the
old code to make it work again.

> Also, how does one use IPKDB. GDB only seems to have an option to connect
> via a tty. The gdb I want to use is gdb4.17 on an i386 machine running the
> 1.4 kernel.

There once was source code in the NetBSD distribution for this, but it was
lost when a newer version of gdb was integrated :-(.  I'll see that I'll
fix this, too, when I update the ipkdb stuff in the kernel.

Please contact me privately, if you'd like to help with this, especially
with the arm support.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--