Subject: Re: Can't find arm32/"platform"/prep
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/13/1999 21:00:56
In <URL:news:local.netbsd.port-arm32> on Mon 06 Sep, J.Bland wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   Just decided to have a go at installing NetBSD/arm32 on my Risc PC. Looking
> in the installation instructions it all seems reasonable but the part about
> preparing your hardware (hdd mostly) keeps refering to arm32/platform/prep
> files, but I can't find them on the ftp server at all. Where are they?

There are no prep files, and we have been bugging this list for ages
to get some in there.

I started to write a new installation manual before we moved over to
the NetBSD way, and this is still available:
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/NetBSD/Install_new.txt

> My hdd is already formatted to leave ~1GB spare which was then partitioned
> for ARM Linux (which decided it didn't want to boot) and now just has the 1Kb
> linux table on it. Presumably this is ok to stick a NetBSD partition on, just
> after the linux table (can't delete it)?

This probably won't do it, but you can try. NetBSD will probably
complain that it can't find the correct partition table.

> Also I don't think it boots on RISC OS 3.80, but I can drop to 3.70 again for
> running BSD.

With the changes that Dave Daniels has done, it should be fine.
Please see an email he posted the 29th of August.

> Other than that I have the sources sitting on a linux box on the ethernet
> waiting to be installed, I just want to be sure of my hdd before potentially
> trashing it ;).

You probably have to trash it and reinstall all your data. :-(

And, BTW, if the portmaster or anyone else would like to distribute
parts or all of my installation manual as "prep", I will hereby grant
permission to do that for the stuff I wrote.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/