Subject: Re: NetBSD/arm32 fails to boot with RISCOS 4
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/13/1999 20:50:42
In <URL:news:local.netbsd.port-arm32> on Tue 31 Aug, Neil A. Carson wrote:
> Dave Daniels wrote:
>
> > As I mentioned above, I ran into a problem with NetBSD when I
> > tried to return to RISCOS. What happened was that when RISCOS
> > booted all of the CMOS RAM settings had been restored to their
> > factory defaults. This happened three times after three boots of
> > NetBSD. I cannot say for sure that NetBSD was responsible but the
> > finger does seem to point in its direction. If, like me, you have
> > an early RiscPC with the Cumana CD ROM drive and RISCOS 4, this
> > problem is not funny. I will investigate this problem and let
> > people know what I find.
>
> AFAIR, NetBSD stores an auto reboot setting in CMOS RAM in the old
> RiscIx bits I think. Maybe RISC OS Ltd have added a CMOS checksum, and
> when RiscBSD tweaks the bit, it doesn't check? This would be an instant
> thought. What happens if you just halt instead of reboot?

This then explain the problems.

RISCOS Ltd. has changed a lot of the CMOS configurations, so when you
install RISC OS 4, it is vital that you do a delete-power-on.

And, while I am at it. I am also running RISC OS 4 nowadays, and my
current RISC OS configuration (and most NetBSD) is available at:
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/MyRiscPC/

Kjetil B.
Authorised RISC OS 4 Installer