Subject: Re: Working version of gzip for RiscPC/SA ?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/12/1999 04:01:47
On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 12:11:51AM +0200, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> as I would like to give NetBSD/arm32 another try, I have to gunzip the
> INST-Kernel, of course..
Be aware that the INST kernels at least from 1.4.1 are broken and
don't work. But you can use the 1.4-INST kernels for installation of
1.4.1 as well. You don't find them on every NetBSD ftp mirror anymore
(e.g. ftp.de.netbsd.org doesn't have them, but ftp2.de.netbsd has)

> The version of gzip I'm using now is 0.41, I couldn't find a newer
> one, but that doesn't help either..
For RISC OS or NetBSD? (NetBSD has gzip 1.2.4 for ages)

RISC OS I guess:
You can gunzip gzipped files with sparkfs and if you don't
have sparkfs try something in
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/archivers/
If it's just the StrongARM that makes your gzip fail, try wich
*cache off. Of course this will need ages now to gunzip the file :-)

And last but not least:
If bandwidht is no problem you can make use of the transparent
conversion features nearly all ftp servers nowadays offer:
Just get the file without the .gz ending...
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.