Subject: Re: Performance of NetBSD/arm32
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Justin Stringfellow <justin.stringfellow@wmp-home.UK.Sun.COM>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/09/1999 12:52:52
>Can anybody tell me the relation between these figures? I guess it's just
>a matter of definition... since `top' van `systat' also report different
>values :-(... so what's the most accurate method to check what's cunsuming
>the computers processor-power, including device-drivers ?

load average reported by 'w' or 'top' is (under sunos anyway) an average of the
number of runnable processes over the last 1/5/15 minutes. it's an "interesting
figure" but I've never found much of a use for it and certainly wouldn't worry
solely because of something it reported.

ps -aux is the best tool imho... run it every minute and see which processes are
accumulating cpu time.

        ______		Justin Stringfellow
       /_____/\		Support Engineer
      /____ \\ \	Sun Microsystems