Subject: Re: NetBSD/arm32 fails to boot with RISCOS 4
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <Davedan@arcade.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1999 20:18:52
  NC>> runs under RISCOS 4. The bad news is that it does not get me
  NC>> very far as the kernel cannot find the NetBSD partition on

I have sorted out this one now. I read through the NetBSD install
documentation and found the program bb_riscbsd. I ran that and it
set up the boot block correctly. After that I was able to boot
NetBSD successfully and it ran without any problems. Rebooting
RISCOS was another matter, though.

The problem with UnixFS was fixed by updating the boot block and
the limited testing I did of it suggested that it was okay with
RISCOS 4.

  NC> I guess bb_riscbsd needs to be hacked to cope with an F+
  NC> format disc. Are the specs for the changes out there? I

bb_riscbsd worked fine for me on a F+ format disk so it probably
does not need to be updated.

  NC> Is it possible to upgrade the format of the hard disc under
  NC> RISC OS 4 without losing all of the data on it?

No. RISCOS ltd have not provided any form of conversion utility.
You have to use Hform to reformat the disk.

It is a pity that you have go this route. I was in the position
where I could backup everything and restore it afterwards but I
can well imagine that a lot of people will not have the means to
do that.

  NC> Send your changes to Mark!!!

I will do.

As I mentioned above, I ran into a problem with NetBSD when I
tried to return to RISCOS. What happened was that when RISCOS
booted all of the CMOS RAM settings had been restored to their
factory defaults. This happened three times after three boots of
NetBSD. I cannot say for sure that NetBSD was responsible but the
finger does seem to point in its direction. If, like me, you have
an early RiscPC with the Cumana CD ROM drive and RISCOS 4, this
problem is not funny. I will investigate this problem and let
people know what I find.

Dave Daniels

--
    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___   |  Free Internet E-mail and Usenet News  |
|  /   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \  | +44 20 8654 2212 +44 20 8655 4412/1811 |