Subject: Re: 1.4.1 hangs on both of my sharks
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1999 09:12:09
>> Ignatios, do you have "options NTP" in your custom kernels?
>
>No, I have not.
>
>Note that the 1.4 SHARK kernel also hangs for me.

Hmmmm ... I didn't try the 1.4 SHARK kernel.  Do you have more than
one Shark?

Maybe we're not experiencing the same problem.  What I see is that
when using a custom kernel, both Sharks hang hard in the middle of
doing lots of disk I/O (specifically, untarring pkgsrc.tgz) (this
is on both of my Sharks, FYI).

Curiouser and curiouser.  I changed sys/arch/arm32/shark/pccons.c to
attach the keyboard interrupt at IPL_SERIAL to see if it was possible
to break into DDB during the hang (on the assumption that it was losing
somewhere in hardclock()) and the problem went away!  Anyone got any
ideas on _that_ one?

I'm wondering if:

- Anyone else sees this problem (if you want to test, build a custom kernel
  with "option NTP" turned on, and try untarring pkgsrc.tgz)?
- Anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, or even how to possibly
  debug this problem?  That it's related to interrupt handling seems obvious,
  but I'm not very familiar as to how interrupts work on the ARM
  processors (nor on the Shark, which seems to be rather ... unusual).

--Ken