Subject: shark UMI responses...
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/29/1999 20:15:25
So, i figure at this point i'm not likely to get any more responses.

There were a total of 10 responses that contained any of the data that
I wanted, and an estimate of probably 15-25 boards desired total.

Many people were hoping for $100 or less per board (some even were
hoping as low as $50), though some of you ventured higher (as high as
"no more than $350" for a board including USB, pciide, and 100mbit
ethernet).

The most commonly-requested item was 100mbit ethernet, though
mass-storage, serial UARTs, and USB were also popular.  PCMCIA was
also mentioned a couple of times.

Anyway, to be honest, i was hoping for a significantly larger number
of responses and boards, because at that point _maybe_
professional-quality boards with decent functionality could possibly
had in the $150-$200 range.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's
possible to get the functionality people want (even just 10/100
ethernet) for $100 by the time you count fab, assembly,
rejects/rework, etc.  Add that to the fact that for me, that minimum
functionality wouldn't be worthwhile, and i don't think there's much
option for me other than to punt.

If somebody else decides to try to arrange a batch board build,
certainly i might be interested.  If not, well, maybe it's time for me
to break out some etchant and make myself a very unprofessional ISA
serial board or two... (I've not done that kinda thing in
probably... 12 or 13 years! 8-)

cgd