Subject: Re: hanging SHARK: finally caught an error message
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/25/1999 14:52:45
Hi Ignatios,

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > this time, the Shark That Happend To Have The Terminal Line not only crashed,
> > but also told what it was trying to do at that time:
> >
> > cs0: cs_process_rx_dma:
> > 	DMA buffer out of sync about to reset
>
> Update:
>
> So, I deleted the dma property (in the nvramrc script), bootet, got the
> machine to use the "memory" mode of receiving data (that is, the dma
> code should not be touched at all), and am still seeing the mysterious hangs.
>
> And ere you ask: I tried
> - an 1.4.1 kernel, self-built
> - an 1.4.1 kernel with no pseudo-device rnd
> - the 1.4J snapshot kernel 10 minutes ago, same problem,
> - running half the machines in the climatized (and cold!) server room
>   combined with the above

Well, what version does run properly? Does 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 run? Or the 1.4
distribution kernel? That may give a clue since then you know what's
changed and can cause the fatal error. Also try to disable `cs0'; as far
as I can see try to use `ofnet' instead....(I don't have a Shark...).

Sucess,

Reinoud