Subject: Re: hanging SHARK: finally caught an error message
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/25/1999 12:02:15
On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 03:26:32PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> this time, the Shark That Happend To Have The Terminal Line not only crashed,
> but also told what it was trying to do at that time:
>
> cs0: cs_process_rx_dma:
> 	DMA buffer out of sync about to reset

Update:

So, I deleted the dma property (in the nvramrc script), bootet, got the
machine to use the "memory" mode of receiving data (that is, the dma
code should not be touched at all), and am still seeing the mysterious hangs.

And ere you ask: I tried
- an 1.4.1 kernel, self-built
- an 1.4.1 kernel with no pseudo-device rnd
- the 1.4J snapshot kernel 10 minutes ago, same problem,
- running half the machines in the climatized (and cold!) server room
  combined with the above

so it is, unfortunately, not the rnd + splsoftclock problem, and no
overheating problem, either.

Regards
	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of