Subject: Re: Some questions about installation
To: Marcus Pries <mpries@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/23/1999 22:36:07
On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 08:09:47PM +0200, Marcus Pries wrote:
> Secondly I have some questions about the installation of NetBSD on my
> RiscPC that are not mentioned in the installation manual:
>
> 1. How do I use the ramdisk-1.4.fs together with the VOYAGER-Kernel
> on my RiscPC 600 (with ARM610) and the loader-Program?
What's that? Two different kernels? (Sorry, I don't know ramdisk-1.4.fs)

Best is to build your own kernel.
There's the How-To on the Webserver, so I can save some words :-)
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/index.html#building_a_kernel
Hint: Take RISCPC instead of GENERIC as template for your config file.

> 2. How do I configure a german keymap when NetBSD is installed?
Sorry, needs some kernel hacking. I've done this a year ago (or so)
since I hated guessing keys myself
(Gosh, the UK/US keymapping is so weird!)
but accidently the file got lost... :-( (shame on me!)

It's sys/arch/arm32/riscpc/rpc_kbd_map.c you have to edit.
The numbers are the same you get from a RISC OS SWI
(IIRC "OS_Byte",something).

> 3. How do I configure X (there are only PC-X-Server in xserver.tgz and
> no one named e.g. Xarm or so)?
I think they are "Shark" and "CATs" servers :-)

What you need is Xvidc, and you find a binary here:
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/testing/Xvidc-1.gz
Unpack it to /usr/X11R6/bin and make a softlink form X to it.
xdm should then run out of the box, if not come back :-).
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.