Subject: Re: Shark, 2nd ether?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1999 12:10:56
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> If you're going to make some of those funky UMI boards, I bet if you
> made PCI ones with 100Mb/sec Ethernet on them you could sell a bunch
> to other shark folks.  Lack of 100Mb Ethernet (and maybe lack of pciide,
> sigh) is the only thing really wrong with the Shark from my point of
> view.
I've looking into PCI based interfaces as well, again getting the silicon
is the major problem (no problem if I want 100+ parts). Chips like the
82559 are nice but I'm not able to handle BGA's. The 21143 requires
external phy adding to the chip count etc. One chip I have looked at is
the SIS900 that would do the job nicely.

Cheers,
			Mark