Subject: Problems with X server
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Glenn Todd <g.todd@internet.co.nz>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/20/1999 20:29:05
Hi,

I have just installed 1.4 over the weekend including the new Xvidc-1 X
server.  Great performance improvement and cleaner compiles for the
package items.

I had to use the precompiled Voyager kernal (never have resorted to
rolling my own) as the RiscPC one kept stalling part way through the
boot. (This has already been reported) However, I found that despite the
Voyager kernel running satifactory it would not do a clean reboot back
to Risc OS.  It does all the shutdown routines and stops at the message

Rebooting..

The power switch is then the only alternative.  But since the shutdown
process is complete, the restart of UNIX goes as normal.

I can live with this but I normally use X running fvwm2. What I
find as soon as I try to exit fvwm the machine freezes leaving no
option but to resort to the power switch.  This results in an
extensive fsck process the next time I boot into UNIX. Also I am getting
concerned I might end up with a irretrievable disc corruption if I
continue with this practice.

I am running a RiscPC 710 with 16meg & 8 meg plus 2meg VDRAM installed.
Am I missing something.

--
Glenn Todd
New Zealand