Subject: Re: Running NetBSD on the Empeg
To: Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
From: Steve Woodford <swoodfor@bluews.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/09/1999 12:10:12
Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 10:59:58AM +0100, Steve Woodford wrote:
> > Since the StrongARM has no
> > hardware floating point, performance will suck big time.
>
> Even on a 220MHz machine?

Yup. I have a 233MHz SA-110 based Shark. Floating Point MP3 decode
is just not possible in real time on that machine. (I've tried.)
Fixed point, on the other hand, would be a breeze...

> What about xaudio (http://www.xaudio.com/).  That's free for non-commercial
> use -- of course, I don't actually see a NetBSD port there :-(  Perhaps I
> could convince them it's worthwhile?

I suspect a NetBSD port would be trivial; after all it's a pretty
OS-independent algorithm. (Especially since they've ported to
FreeBSD already).

Cheers, Steve