Subject: Re: Which xserver for 1.4 release?
To: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Steve Hobbs <ee95seh@brunel.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/07/1999 14:08:33
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, David Forbes wrote:

> > I still can't get login to work, so am running single user. Should X be
> > happy like that?
>
> Err... I don't think so, but even if it did, it would be a good idea to
> get the system running multi-user anyway, otherwise you'll have lots of
> hassle with things.
>
> I think I might have missed you original message about this.  Can you tell
> us any more about it?

OK. Starting at the start :-)
I had 1.3.x running happily on my RISCPC. I downloaded the binary sets
from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/arm32/
into my existing /usr, and gradually replaced all the 1.3 files with the
new ones. (including wiping the / partition completely first).

Rebooted the 1.4 system, single user, and did the usual editing of
rc.conf to allow multi-user.

I then ran vipw to add my user id, and left the password field blank. also
removed the asterisk from the root password field. rebooted, and could not
login.

vipw reports no errors, and builds passwd, pwd.db and spwd.db, but login
always reports "invalid login".

passwd <user> always fails with passwd file is busy, even there are no
obvious lock files, certainly not /etc/ptmp.

I am completely stumped as to the problem, so any ideas would be
welcomed...

Cheers for all the help so far.

--

Stephen Hobbs.
e-mail: ee95seh (at) brunel.ac.uk

Just graduated in Elec. Eng from Brunel Uni.