Subject: Re: bus_space_* with CATS super I/O stuff
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/05/1999 21:15:25
> > I knew somebody would say that  ;-)  The code needs some temporary space
> > to store stuff like iot & ioh whilst it does the rest of the probe and the
> > ppc_softc has roughly the right elements...it's free()'d after the
> > bus_space_unmap() a little later on.
>
> Not particularly good style, but i doubt it's your problem, so *punt*.

No, it's ugly, but it was a cheap trick to save having to rewrite the
whole thing whilst I was understanding the code and NetBSD drivers...

> There are plenty.  vga driver.  lots of sound card drivers.  i dunno
> what else off-hand.

Thanks... I'll take a peek.

> I suggest reading more of the documentation.  I'd look at it myself if
> i had a copy -- doesn't look like Acer Labs' web site gives away their
> documentation without authorization.

Sure enough, after Phil Blundell's message, I managed to find the info,
only it was separated from the parallel port by 40 pages (at least, that's
my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;-)

> My guess is that the additional register region has to be enabled with
> some BIOS/firmware code, and are _not_ enabled by default.  Most
> "super i/o"-ish chips that i'm aware of do this, typically allowing
> _all_ of the random I/O devices to be turned on and off via a
> non-standard (i.e. chip- or manufacturer-dependent) software method.
> Even things like the keyboard or mouse ports/interrupts can often be
> turned off and/or reconfigured.

You guess correctly - apparently only the KBD is enabled by default.

Thanks for your help - it now seems to be at least responding to the
registers properly - I'll trying plugging something in tomorrow...

Cheers,

David.