Subject: Re: was _anybody_ able to install 1.4?
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/28/1999 10:36:07
Hi,

I've installed NetBSD 1.4 on a somewhat curious way... I had a working
1.3.2 version, so I booted the machine with the 1.3.2 sysinst
kernel+ramdisk. Then I manually mounted the partitions in /mnt and
effectively wiped everything but /home/ at /dev/wd0g. In /home I had put
the distribution packets, and the salvaged /root and /etc from my 1.3.2
installation.  After untarring with `tar -b 4000 -xzvpf filename.tgz'
(sign. speeds up untarring :-)), I rebooted, and after a /dev/MAKEDEV all,
and reconfigurating my /etc, things got working... since then, some other
`small' things had to be changed (access rights, DISabling gawk, ....),
but I'm afraid I can't recall them anymore.

Anyway, the reason for this method of installation was that the NetBSD 1.4
kernels didn't work on my ARM700 machine, so I had no runnable
installation kernel.... thanks to Mark, I could build one of my own and
it's running happily ever after.

I can't build a new one from -current though, since it has problems with
my `ea0' interface; I filled in a bug-report on it. I sure would like to
hunt the bug myself, but haven't found the time..

Cheers,

Reinoud