Subject: Re: RiscPC & Xserver testing
To: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/02/1999 14:16:45
On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Andrew McMurry wrote:

> > Sources will be committed to the NetBSD xsrc tree as soon as I get word
> > that the code works for someone other than myself ;-)
>
> It works for me.  KDE 1.1 and Gnome (Enlightenment) both work for me.
> Gnome might even be more stable under Xvidc (but I haven't run it
> enough under either Xarm or Xvidc to be statistically significant).

Good to here.

> Does Xvidc read the XF86Config file?

Nope. If does not use the xfree86 code.

> Can you get it to read screen resolution and bits per pixel info from
> there?

It reads the res and depth from the console driver so this can be changed
with the setdisplay util (which needs overhaulling itself).

What doe people think is the best way to do this ?
A single config file like XF86Config. command line options and a RiscOS
MDF file. A simple config file + an RiscOS MDF file or something else ?

> If it doesn't read the XF86Config file, how to you get it to use a
> UK rather than US keyboard layout?

Good question. At the mo the translation table is compiled in. xmodmap
should be able to change mappings.

> I am looking forward to 16 bpp.  Doesn't XFree86 have a command line
> option to set bpp?  Will this work?
The vidc-1 server on ftp.netbsd.org will support this.

Cheers,
				Mark