Subject: RiscPC & Xserver testing
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@brini.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/01/1999 02:46:14
Hi,
  Ok I am looking for a tester or two for a new RiscPC Xserver to work
with NetBSD 1.4. Please read about the limitations before trying it.

The server can be found on ftp.netbsd.org in
/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/testing and is called Xvidc

This X server is built from the NetBSD xsrc tree and is a vidc specific
driver by myself and Neil.

Well all know the problem of the existing RiscPC Xservers and this idea is
for this server to replace them as soon as it is stable. Since this s
built from the NetBSD sources there will not be the compatibility issues
that the old server suffered from.

As soon as I have some feedback on the usability / stability of this
server I will commit the sources into the xsrc tree.

To use

Must be running NetBSD 1.4 and have the 1.4 xsets installed. The arm32
xserver set may or may not be installed as that only has X servers for
SHARKs atm.

download Xvidc and install in /usr/X11R6/bin
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvidc /usr/X11R6/bin/X

startx

wait for meltdown etc.etc ;-)))))

The above works fine for me and I can run twm etc with a few apps e.g. xv
etc. I don't epxect any problems with other window managers etc.

NOTE: THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL X SERVER

Here are a few known problems ...

8bpp only (1, 4, 16 planned; 24 maybe; 16 next)

on existing kernels the mouse will not move the pointer until after the
1st key is pressed (I've just committed the fix to the qms and pms mouse
drivers to address this problem, so kernels built after tonights supscan
will not see this problem.

caps lock doesn't

keypad is ignored

cannot switch out of X once running. Use kill <pid> to stop it or quit via
the WM.

keyboard may jam up. I am not convinced it is working perfectly. A network
login may be useful to kill the server if this happens

The mouse driver still needs some work.

other than that I have had it running for a few hours without problems.

If after reading all that you still want to try it I would be grateful for
any feedback.

As far as I can see all I need to do is fix a few of the above and we will
have a X server that works better than the current RiscPC one ....

Cheers,
				Mark