Subject: Re: Installing 1.4
To: None <mark@causality.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/28/1999 10:28:10
mark@causality.com said:
> > 2) Will it print? ( I can't get 1.3.2 or 1.2 to work )
> hmm as I am sure users hate me saying "works for me" ;-)

I haven't tried for a while, so this may be out of date info (and I'm also
guilty of not reporting it).  But I've had problems in the past with
printing on the RISC PC's interrupt-driven parallel port interface.
Things work fine on the polled interface (though it takes more machine
cycles, I guess); but when interrupt driven the machine can freeze
entirely, so I suspect that somehow the IRQs aren't (weren't?) being
cleared.

This tends to be most common when I'm ghostscript as a printer driver to
translate postscript files to Epson ESC- whatever format.

Because it keeps locking the machine, testing for this is a pain for me
cos of the time it takes to keep re fsck-ing the discs.

Richard.