Subject: Re: Installing 1.4
To: Simon Knott <simonk@dynarx.demon.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/28/1999 02:08:08
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Simon Knott wrote:

> I've had some experience with BSD having installed 1.2 and 1.3.2 but am
> not what you would call an expert.  So with particular reference to
> NetBSD/arm32 1.4
>
> 1) Will it run on my RiscPC 710 because my StrongArm hasn't come yet?
> ( on order since before Christmas ) I think I remember seeing a message
> saying 710s are a problem.

There are problems with some 710 cards but a fix should be available in
the next day or so.

> 2) Will it print? ( I can't get 1.3.2 or 1.2 to work )
hmm as I am sure users hate me saying "works for me" ;-)

> 3) What is the easiest way to connect to a dial up ISP?  I've configured
> a resolver and inetd but how do I communicate with the modem and start a
> PPP session?  I'm not too bothered about mail and news yet I just want
> to be able to FTP stuff from the NetBSD ftp site directly without
> rebooting all the time.

Before DSL I used to use a ppp dialup invoking pppd with something like

/usr/sbin/pppd lock modem crtscts /dev/tty00 115200 asyncmap 20A0000
escape FF kdebug 0 noipdefault netmask $NETMASK nodefaultroute connect
$DIALER_SCRIPT

and a dialer scrip that used chat

#!/bin/sh
#
# This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
# protocol for the desired connection.
#
#       'OK-+++\c-OK'   'ATH0X3S0=0&B1&C1&D2&H1&R2'     \
#
exec chat -v                                            \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              ATZS0=0                         \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   'ATZS0=0'                               \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \
        CONNECT         ''                              \
        ogin:--gin:     $ACCOUNT                        \
        assword:        $PASSWORD

This has come up before and I beleive others have suggested ways or posted
example scripts.

Cheers,
				Mark