Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD 1.4 on a RiscPC
To: Martin Kaletsch <kaletsch@Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/24/1999 22:02:35
Hi,

> Then the install programm get's one stage further, it crashes when you try to
> name your disk...
>
> From that point on, I didn't get any further. Lately I have been trying o
> install BSD with the 1.32 install kernel...which at least formated the HD!
>
> Finally I tared the packages by hand on the HD and managed to install the
> base package...

Can it be done otherwise? I've run `install' on the install-kernel of
NetBSD 1.3.2; after I entered all the harddisc partitions and formatted
them, I manually de-tar'd all sets in the /mnt dir, and off you go! just
edit the /mnt/etc/rc.conf and restart the computer with `shutdown -r now'
.. I used a big IDE disc (with a RISCOS partition) and got the tarballs
from another machine using NFS / FTP... (BIG) YES!, it's ideal!

> Now I just crashed the bit of system I had installed during the last days and
> am serioulsy thinking of buying a PC as a Unix-machine!

Dunno about 1.4; that kernel doesn't work here; Mark is working on it...

Success, and feel free to ask for details,

Reinoud