Subject: Problems installing NetBSD 1.4 on a RiscPC
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/24/1999 01:09:50
I decided I'd have a got at installing NetBSD 1.4 on my RiscPC having
previously had both 1.3alpha and 1.3.2 running reasonably happily.
Since then, I'd turned the second partition of my RapIDE32 drive over
to RISC OS.

I moved the things I wanted to keep back over to the primary
partition, and then ran the BB_RiscBSD utility to start my NetBSD
partition at cylinder 2642, giving 1450 cylinders for NetBSD. Running
Part_Info confirms that I have a partition starting at 2642.

As with 1.4 beta, the install kernel starts up nicely and looks easier
to use than previous ones (I didn't try to install using 1.4 beta
because I was still using the second RISC OS partition). I didn't get
any notable errors (I'm using a Rev J StrongARM, btw with 50Mb RAM).

Selecting install NetBSD on to Harddisc from the menu sysinst produces
when it auto-starts shows that the first partition has been detected
and marked as not to be altered. This leaves me with 1450 cylinders to
play with. I typed in some figures that seemed sensible:

60 /
280 swap
1050 /usr
60 /var

Then I selected use these values (or similar), accepted mydisk as the
name for the disk and then got these errors:

mydisk uid 0 on / : out of inodes
/ : create /symlink failed, no inodes free

Could not open /etc/disktab

Is there anything obvious I should have done. I've also tried with the
default settings for normal and X (which seem to suggest rather large
root and swap partitions, much larger than the installation documents
suggested.

On a different note, are there likely to be any CDs burned of NetBSD
1.4 that will be available in the UK?

Otherwise, what would I need to tell someone with no experience of
RiscPCs or NetBSD how to make me a usable CD image?

Cheers for any help,
Andy.
--
Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>