Subject: Re: shocking speed performance!
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/23/1999 20:12:47
> >In my experience, it has always been the users responsibility to specify
> >-lm when compiling code with math.
>
> No.  It has always been the user's responsibility to specify -lm when
> compiling code which uses the <math.h> functions.  It is most certainly
> _not_ the user's responsibility to know which parts of the base C
> language are implemented through support functions.  Are you seriously
> suggesting that it is normal to have to link -lm because your program
> multiplies and divides floating point numbers?

I am not suggesting it, but telling you that it has been normal.
I already meantioned this for 68020 SunOS. I also had to do this for
the earlier 68000. It was also usual to have a default library.

> >Please read me more carefully. I wrote "some years ago", which is clearly
> >NOT today. I am getting tired of repeating myself.
>
> So stop.  If the problem you discuss no longer exists, why do you keep
> complaining about it?  It's already been fixed -- what are we supposed
> to do, go back in time and fix it sooner?

Because people ask me to, and because people write unsupported
claims which are false, like you just did.

Kim0