Subject: Re: More 1.4,KDE, Mozilla
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Paul Wain <paul.wain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/22/1999 15:05:29
Hey,

Chris Cowdery wrote:

> Well I got KDE installed OK, it's really quite good isn't it.

You might want to also look at WindowMaker. I kinda prefer that (there are
too many bugs in KDE's gnome compliance for what I do :)

> [...]
> Now to Mozilla.
> It works, but fails to actually display anything. It fetches the
> page, and the page is there, as the infobar at the bottom changes
> as you move the pointer around, but the window is just grey, i.e.
> no rendering has taken place? Also it's a shame it won't support
> Java. Is this on the agenda anyone?

I believe people have mentioned the Mozilla/arm32 thing before (I really
should check the mail archive before saying that :), but Im not sure that
anyone had any brilliant ideas as to why. What version of Mozilla was it
(m3? m4 or m5?). Do you have the bandwidth to download the source from
their CVS tree and try your own build (my RiscPC would take several days to
do that - its only an ARM 7 machine).

Also there are plans for mozilla to have Java but I dont believe that it
will make it until after the full 1.0 release based upon what the people on
the mozilla news groups are saying (Netscape 5.0 will have it, its one of
the value adds Netscape will be doing, along with US level encryption).
However JavaScript seems to work quite nicely finally (that said I still
know of pages which the Windows version can handle and UNIX can't - seems
like Unix actually protects memory and doesn't let you write to read only
pages by mistake - fancy that :)

Cheers,

Paul
| Paul Wain                         || Tel: +1 650 631 GOAT (4628)     |
| Network Computer Inc.             || Web: http://www.nc.com/         |
| Redwood Shores, CA 94040          ||                                 |