Subject: Re: shocking speed performance!
To: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1999 15:20:16

> Division and modulo are integer operations, and therefore belongs in
> those libraries that are always linked.

As do the base support functions that support floating point operators
(I'm not talking about transcendental functions or the like).  On a
machine with floating point hardware, such functions would usually be
machine instructions.

I've never known a platform that requires you to link libm just to
multiply two floating point numbers.

> > > Also as mentioned earlier, I worked 3 months of evenings on this project
> > > some years ago, and was stopped by uncompilable gcc. I have told you
> > > about this project several times before in these years.
> >
> > But this is clearly not true.  Numerous people successfully compile the
> > standard gcc and egcs distributions in addition to the in-tree NetBSD
> > copy.  Just saying it is not compilable doesn't help us to help you (we
> > aren't psychic).
>
> Please read me more carefully. I wrote "some years ago", which is clearly
> NOT today. I am getting tired of repeating myself.

So why do you keep harping on about it as though this is still the case?